The Board of Directors and clergy staff have decided that the responsible thing to do for the safety and welfare of our Sangha to close Dharma Gate Zen and suspend all classes and services for the time being. We did not make this decision lightly, and have been in deliberation through the past two days.
With the CDC’s recommended course of action we feel it would be very hard to follow guidelines and keep people safe.
Now that Governor Whitmer has closed all public schools until April 6th, Michigan Universities have suspended in person classes, many if not most public events have been canceled, major sporting events have suspended seasons, and the potential for exposure has risen in Michigan, we feel it is the best course of action to do our part as well.
We will be suspending all services and classes for an undetermined timeframe effective immediately, including:
- Sunday Service (Troy and Saginaw locations)
- All meditation sittings during the week
- All Homonji Iaido classes
- Any Sangha Gatherings (Meditative Creative, Nature Walk)
- All Recovery Dharma Groups (please refer to the RDC Facebook for alternatives and response)
- Any scheduled classes (PathFoundry, Heart Sutra Class, etc) will be rescheduled after we reopen
We believe this will only be for a short time and we will be making arrangements to continue our services in a virtual nature (more on that to come).
This is a good time to work on your home practice and be safe. We will asses the situation week by week, and we will make further announcements when we feel this has passed and we are safe to resume services.
Ven. Hoden and the DGZ Board of Directors